Help! My candle wont stay lit!

Wood wicks and beeswax can be a bit of a tricky combination if you are not used to them. Following the three practices below will ensure long, clean burns from here on out!

1. The first burn is the most important... here's how to do it the correct way

Give your candle enough time to burn to ensure the wax pool reaches the edge of the container. This can take several hours depending on the size of the container. Do not be surprised if this takes up to 5 hours as beeswax is a very hard wax and burns slower than other waxes.

If this wax pool is not achieved, it can cause the candle to tunnel. If this happens, there will not be enough air flow to keep the candle lit and it will extinguish on its own. (if you are having this problem already, see step #3 for possible solutions)

After the initial burn, it is still recommended to achieve this wax pool for best results.

2. Keep the wood wick trimmed short to about 1/8" and free of any charred wood

Another common problem is leaving the wood wick too long. It is not the actual wood that is fueling the candle but rather the wax. If the wick is too long, this will not allow the wax to be pulled up the wick to the flame to burn, and the candle will eventually burn out.

3. How to fix a candle that is tunneling

  • If you candle will stay lit, the first option is to allow it to burn until it has melted to the edge of the container. This will not be a fast process and will take time, but should help melt down the sides.

  • If the candle will not stay light due to too big of a wax pool, you can attempt to soak up some of the wax with a paper towel. Then relight and see how it burns.

  • As a last resort, if the above two options do not work, you can try to scrape down some of the wax on the sides of the container. This should remove the "tunneling" and allow the air to flow to the wick once more.